Friday, June 10, 2016

Digital Blog Post #E


After reading chapters 4, 7, and 9, I found three concepts that I found very interesting. There was “Building, Inventing, and Creating Software”, “Steps in Solving Problems”, and “Concept of Exploring Computer Games as Learning Resources”.

The first concept I would like to talk about is Building, Inventing, and Creating Software. This section explains how these things happen when students engage in open-minded explorations of topics that interest them. Kid Pix and Google Earth are listed as great tools for teachers to use with their students. The text lists that’s the most effective programs are those that do not require a single right way to use them or a single right answer. I agree with that because it really allows students to interact more because they don’t have to worry about getting embarrassed if they get the wrong answer. Kid Pix sounds like a great website that I would use when I become a future teacher, allowing my students to use their imagination which will make them want to learn.

The second concept I found interesting was Steps in Solving Problems. George Polya proposed an idea for solving mathematical problems that included steps like understanding the problem, using problem-solving strategies, and checking results. Math hasn’t always been my best subject so I really like this approach and think that it would really help me understand math more. Understanding the problem, in where students need to identify the type of question they are being asked, what they already know can help them solve the problem. Using problem-solving strategies, is really just telling you to break down the problem and use your chosen strategy to help find the solution to the problem. Lastly, Checking results, is the step just to make sure you have done the problem right. Many students forget this step and don’t check their work and end up getting the problem wrong because they didn’t look over it.

The last concept I liked was, Concept of Exploring Computer Games as Learning Resources. I noticed that many teachers worry about the effect of computer and video games on the minds of the children especially since there are so many violent games out there today. Setting that aside, there is many video games out there that actually do benefit children’s learning. Growing up I had a whole shelf of fun, learning, interactive games that my parents would let me play daily and I feel like that is something all parents should have a look at.





Resources:
Powered by emaze
Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.



No comments:

Post a Comment