Thursday, May 12, 2016

Blog Post #A - Chapter 1


Three concepts to reflect upon in Chapter 1:

As I am the process of becoming a future teacher, I realize that I should realize how important the benefits of using technology is, and how they are crucial in today's teaching.



The first concept I would like to go over would be the importance of social media, and the internet. I came across statistic in the text that said, "Most 8- to 18-year-olds are using technology, experiencing a "digital childhood" and becoming an iGeneration of technology users in their teens" (Maloy, 2014, p.17). This made me feel that students if students have been raised around technology, that they will respond and react better if technology is also used in the classroom. The majority of children go straight home from school and go straight to video games, so maybe if more technology was put in classrooms, students would be more quick to want to learn. For example, I did observation hours at an elementary school and the students were excited to learn because they were able to come up and write on a SmartBoard which is just a huge computer. 



The second concept that i found interesting was building my identity as a teacher. I personally love using PowerPoints because it really draws people in to what you are saying, especially kids. Even little learning games online grab children's attention because they are able to interact with technology. As a teacher, i want to be able to take lessons and transform them into ways that my students will actually want to learn. My stepmom came across an article that has a great list of applications that can be used towards your classroom, 52 of The Best Apps For Your Classroom in 2015! 


The third concept I found interesting was the use of "clickers" in classrooms. I really like this idea because it gives every student the opportunity to answer a question you put on the board and the results would be shown and it could be discussed. I actually used a certain object in my math class in middle school that the results would show up anonymously but the teacher would be able to see what the most voted answer was. It made me actually want to keep doing math problems just to see my answer pop up on the board. This would be a tool I would love to be able to use in my classroom, not only do i think it would be useful to determine understanding, but I could use this technology to create games and contests that would be fun for my students










No comments:

Post a Comment